Saturday, June 18, 2011

Kabobs in DC

After being in the same city for the past two weeks, my friend from Jordan, Justin, and I finally got together to catch up post-study abroad. We wandered Dupont a little bit before winding up at Moby Dick's House of Kabob, a local Persian chain, on Connecticut Ave.


They had REALLY GOOD falafel. I hesitate to say the best because this is only my second falafel in DC post-Jordan, but it really hit the spot. 

Weird bread? Other than leaking the yogurt sauce, it was new and yum!

And even though it wasn't the Arab-type falafel and food I was used to, it was really cool to see Persian food and kabob, because to my untrained eyes it seems like a mix of Middle Eastern and South Asian food.  For dessert I got zoolbia and bamiyeh, which looks an awful lot like (read: is) jalebi (a dessert that my Indian roommate, Gina, gets from her family and shares with us a lot), and awwamat (or honey balls, a popular Middle Eastern/Central Asian dessert I had a lot in Jordan/Egypt). 

Bamiyeh (honey balls) top, and Zoolbia (pretzel-looking thing) bottom

There were several other items on the menu I didn't get to try, so I'll have to come back here in the near future, one of which is doogh.  According to Wikipedia, doogh is some kind of Persian yogurt-based beverage.  Never heard of it before in my life, but I'm going to try it!



On a completely separate note, in my wanderings, I found another kabob place named "FRIENDS"...


That was reminiscent of a certain bar in Aqaba, Jordan...

The Friends Bar, Aqaba, Jordan
This travel blog photo's source is TravelPod page: Goodbye Egypt, Hello Jordan


I wonder if they're related at all or if it's a total coincidence?






No comments:

Post a Comment